Applications may be picked up at the Johnston Police Department, 1651 Atwood Avenue, Johnston, RI 02919 or downloaded (HERE) and filled in electronically, or handwritten, by applicants are reminded that all signatures and handwritten submissions must be completed in BLUE INK only.
Ø be a US Citizen
Ø be a minimum of 21 years of age
Ø possess 60 semester credit hours from an accredited College/University OR have two (2) years military service OR have two (2) years prior law enforcement experience
Ø complete and pass all test requirements
Ø possess a valid driver’s license
Ø must successfully pass complete background check
Ø submit a complete application with required documents by prescribed deadline*
- be a US Citizen
- be a minimum of 21 years of age
- possess 60 semester credit hours from an accredited College/University OR have two (2) years military service OR have two (2) years prior law enforcement experience
- complete and pass all test requirements
- possess a valid driver's license
- submit a complete application with required documents by prescribed deadline (note: incomplete or partially completed applications will not be accepted)
- submit a non-refundable application of fee of $50 certified check or money orders ONLY (no cash or personal checks)
- ability to successfully pass a background check
A completed application with all handwritten segments, including but not limited to signatures in BLUE INK only.
· A copy of your birth certificate or citizenship papers if they are a naturalized US Citizen
- A copy of your high school diploma or equivalency (GED)
- Official college transcripts and/or military documents verifying service credit time and/or documents verifying 2 years of law enforcement experience (i.e. academy graduation paperwork, municipal/state discharge/retirement documents, etc.)
- A copy of your driver's license
- A passport size photo affixed where applicable on the application
- A physician's release (note: this release must be presented prior to taking the Department's physical agility and must be LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OLD)
- The non-refundable application processing fee payment of $50 by way of certified check or money order (NO CASH or PERSONAL CHECKS) made out to the Johnston Police Department. (If you are financially unable to comply, please submit documentation explaining the reason(s) why and attach it with your application.
This is a tentative timeline and is subject to change.
Each candidate will receive a notice to appear for the subsequent phase of the testing, pending the results of the preceding test phase results. ALWAYS refer to correspondence given to you at the completion of each phase
(Note: At the noted times for all phases, the doors to the facility will close. Any late arrivals will be grounds for elimination from the hiring process)
Application Submission Schedule
The Applicant may submit a COMPLETED Application Packet IN PERSON to the Johnston Police Department, 1651 Atwood Avenue, Johnston, RI 02919 between the dates and times as follows:
Monday, February 16, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday, February 19 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday, February 20, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Monday, February 23, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday, February 27, 2015 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
After your application is submitted completely and verified by a member of our personnel, you will be given a receipt of completion for this first phase of the recruit process. This receipt will have your Applicant Number on it and will identify the date and time of the orientation.
The orientation will be held in the Auditorium at the Johnston Senior High School, 345 Cherry Hill Road, Johnston, RI 02919 (western-most entrance in the front of the building will be used) at 8:00 am on Saturday, March 7, 2015. Recruits must appear on time, as the doors will close promptly at 8:00 am, and in proper business attire. Bring your license with you and know your Application Number.
After completing the orientation, recruits will be required to attend the written examination. The written examination will be held in the Cafeteria at the Johnston Senior High School, 345 Cherry Hill Road, Johnston, RI 02919 (western-most entrance in the front of the building will be used) at 8:00 am on Saturday, March 14, 2015. Recruits must appear on time, as the doors will close promptly at 8:00 am, and in proper business attire. Exam will consist of 100 multiple choice questions. Bring your license with you and know your application number.
The tests will be graded and the scores will be posted by applicant number in the foyer at Johnston Police Headquarters, and on the recruitment page of our website (www.johnstonpd.com), by Wednesday, March 18, 2015.
Recruits that earn a 70% or better on the written exam, information pertaining to the next phase will be available with your score. If you earn less than a 70% score, you will receive notice advising that you have been eliminated
JPD Physical Agility
The Department's Physical Agility will take in March 2015, Exact date, time and location to be determined. Recruits are required to wear a solid color white t-shirt, solid color navy blue shorts, white socks and sneakers. Water bottles, wrist watches and car keys are permissible, however jewelry (other than marriage bands), headphones, and other similar items are strictly prohibited. Please secure all cell phones in your vehicle prior to entering the gymnasium. Bring your license with you and know your application number.
After successfully completing all of the fitness battery testing, you will receive correspondence advising that you may continue to the next phase. If not, then you will receive correspondence advising that you have been eliminated.
Tentatively, the Oral Boards have been scheduled for the week of April 6-10, 2015. Depending on the size of the applicant pool, this timeframe may be adjusted.
The backgrounds will be conducted during the early part of April, 2015.
Chief’s Oral Board
A select few at the top of the recruitment list will be given an interview with the Chief of Police. This interview timeframe has yet to be determined.
RIMPTA Physical Agility
If there is a possibility that a candidate may be sent to the Municipal Police Academy, they must attend the RI Municipal Police Training Academy Orientation and Physical Agility Test. These dates are yet to be determined, with the first series to be held in late April/early May.
Final Phase Dates are as needed and yet to be determined