Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to show the answer. You can also show or hide all of the answers

Hours of Operation

  • When is the Johnston Police Department open?

    The Johnston Police Department Dispatch and headquarters facility are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The administrative segment of the Police Department is generally open Monday thru Friday, from 8:00 am-4:00 pm.


  • When should I call 911?

    The Johnston Police Department advises people to only utilize 911 to save a life, stop a crime or report a fire. All other emergency calls can be made to (401) 231-8100. All administrative inquiries can be made to (401) 231-4210. Please DO NOT utilize 911 for directions to the Police Department or any other location within the Town of Johnston.

Car Seats


  • When is the Records Division open?

    Records Division is open Monday thru Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm excluding holidays.

  • How do I obtain a copy of a report?

    You can respond to Johnston Police Headquarters, Records Division between the hours of operation to obtain a copy of a report. If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident your report will also be available to you online at (which is the preferred way of obtaining such reports.)

    If you are unable to respond to the police department within the hours of operations you may call the Records Division (401- 231-4210 ext. 3154) for arrangements to be made to obtain a copy of your report.


    Reports are usually available 3-5 business days after the incident occurred. If an incident is being investigated the report may not be available until the investigation is complete.

    For most arrests, reports are not available until a disposition has been given. Defense Attorneys may contact the Prosecution Division for active arrest cases needed for trial (401-231-4210, ext. 3151).

    You may fill out this form and return it to the Police Department

    Police reports may also be obtained by emailing and requesting a copy of your report.



  • How do I get a Stop Sign or Speed Hump installed in my neighborhood?

    You must respond to the Town Clerk's Office at Town Hall and obtain the proper paperwork. Once the paperwork is fully completed, your proposal gets presented to your local council person and gets addressed at a subsequent Town Council Meeting. If deemed acceptable, it will then be forwarded back to the Police Department for a traffic study, at which time our results get turned back over to the Council for approval.

  • My car was recently towed. How do I know where it is?

    Each day a different tow company is used on a rotating basis. You may need to contact headquarters as to which agency was on call the day your vehicle was towed. The current tow companies on the Johnston Police Department's active list are as follows:

    Curreri Collision
    2160 Hartford Ave.
    Johnston, RI 02919

    Precision Auto
    100 South St.
    Johnston, RI 02919

    Northeast Auto Body
    775 Hartford Ave.
    Johnston, RI 02919

Traffic Citations (Tickets)

VIN Checks

  • When do I need a VIN Inspection (aka VIN Check)?

    If you have purchased a vehicle with a title from another state, or if you have a car that was previously registered in another state, you must have the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on your paperwork checked against the actual VIN on your vehicle to make sure the two numbers match. This applies to ALL vehicles 2001 and newer.

  • What do I need to bring with me to the police station to get my VIN Inspection (aka VIN Check)?

    If the vehicle is purchased within the State of Rhode Island, you will need the vehicle's Title and Bill of Sale. If the vehicle is a transferred registration from another state, you must bring the current registration (from the State you are coming from) and proof of residency in Johnston. You must also bring the appropriate form of payment.

  • How much does a VIN Inspection (aka VIN Check) cost?

    There is a flat fee of $15 for a VIN Inspection. Check or Money Orders ONLY.

  • What is the schedule for VIN Inspections (aka VIN Checks)?

    VIN inspections are done Monday through Friday 9:00-11:00am to 1:00-3:00pm. We encourage those who require a VIN Inspection to make an appointment with our VIN Inspector, Civilian Annmarie Rossi, via #401-757-3181. Continue to check the Johnston Police Facebook page for VIN inspection cancellations.

Arrested Individuals

Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI)

COVID-19 Procedure for Fingerprinting

  • How do I get my fingerprints taken?

    The Johnston Police Department conducts National & Local Criminal History Checks for Johnston residents, as required by RI General Law.

    All fingerprinting services are by appointment only on business days 9:00 am to 4:00pm.
    To make an appointment call the B.C.I. Division at 401-757-3148 or email

    All fees must be paid by check or money orders made out to the Town of Johnston. (NO CASH)

    All Johnston residents requesting fingerprints must have a letter of employment/Fingerprint Affidavit and proof of residency (R.I. Driver's License, State Identification Card, etc.)

    Below are the criminal history checks and fingerprinting required by RI General Laws along with the fees and statutes. Click on the statute number link for the applicable law:

    Fingerprint Card Only $15.00 ea  
    Foster Care No Fee 14-1-34
    Mental Health Facilities No Fee 40.1-25.1-3
    DCYF Adoption No Fee 15-7-11
    DCYF Employees No Fee 40-13.2-5.2
    Massage Therapists $40.00 23-20.8-3
    Firefighter Employment $40.00 45-2-3.4
    Medical Marijuana Caregiver $40.00 21-28.6-16
    Religious Organizations $40.00 12-1-17
    Youth Protection Act $40.00 40-13.2-5.1
    Adult Guardianship (Johnston Residents) $40.00 33-15-6.1
    Public and Private School Employees** $40.00 16-2-18.1
    **Must have letter of Intent/Job Offer for each school you are applying for!!
    Child Care/Daycare (Employees Only)** $40.00 40-13.2-5
    **Child Care/Daycare employees are required by law to have a Comprehensive Background Check completed!!


    Foster Care, Adoption, and Child Care employees must have the new Fingerprint Affidavit form being used by DCYF and the Department of Human Services fully completed at the time of the appointment.

    The link to this form is available to download on our website!

  • I have property being held as evidence. How can I retrieve it?

    You must call and make an appointment with a member of the BCI Unit to retrieve your items from our evidence room if they are available. When you call, a member of the unit will advise you if the item can be released at this time, and how you may go about retrieving the items


  • How do I apply for a pistol permit?

    Adult persons who are residents of the Town of Johnston may respond to Johnston Police Headquarters to apply for a pistol permit. The applicant must complete all mandatory documentation and fulfill all obligations identified in the application for approval. The application must be submitted to the Chief of Police for final review and approval.

Professional Standards

  • How do I file a complaint against Department Personnel?

    The Johnston Police Department is committed to maintaining the highest moral and ethical standards in all facets of our role in public safety. With the goal of maintaining such high professional standards, the Johnston Police Department maintains a Professional Standards Commander to investigate such complaints and allegations of members of our department.

    Any person wishing to file a complaint may do so by responding to headquarters and formally speaking with the on-duty supervisor. You may also obtain a Civilian Complaint form, complete it and return it to the Professional Standards Commander in person or by mail.

    This form is also located on our website:

Victims of Crime

  • How do I obtain a restraining order?

    In the State of Rhode Island, you may obtain a Temporary Restraining Order if your relationship with your abuser is considered “domestic.” Domestic relationships are defined as family members who are spouses, former spouses, adults related by blood and/or marriage, or who have children in common, household cohabitants who are minors and persons over 18 NOT related by blood or marriage but who currently live together, OR who have lived together for some period of time within the past three years (including boyfriend/girlfriend/same-sex partnerships), and dating relationships where persons who have, OR had within the past 1 year, been engaged in a substantive dating or engagement relationship (including boyfriend/girlfriend/same-sex partnerships).

    You must respond to Family Court (Garrahy Complex in Providence) if you are related to the abuser by blood or marriage, you have children together, or if either of party is under eighteen and have had a significant dating / engagement relationship together in the last 1 year.

    You must go to District Court (Kent County Courthouse in Warwick) if you and your abuser have had a significant dating relationship in the last 1 year, lived together within the preceding 3 years, and you are both over eighteen years old. Additionally, if you are a victim of sexual assault or child molestation, you may receive protection through the District Court no matter the relationship.

    If your abuser is NOT defined as “domestic”, you must respond to Superior Court (Licht Judicial Complex).

    Once at the proper court, you must fill out an affidavit, which is a sworn written statement about the incident or incidents that have lead you to fear for your safety and require you to seek a restraining order. The affidavit will be reviewed by a judge in your presence and the judge may ask you questions. If the judge signs the order, the order is valid for up to twenty-one (21) days. The abuser will then be served with the order by a Sheriff and at that point, the order becomes an arrestable offense if it's violated.

    If you want the order extended beyond the twenty-one (21) days, you must appear at a hearing, the date for which will be put on the Temporary Restraining Order. Your abuser will also be required to appear.

    Emergency Family Court restraining orders are also available (after court hours) through the on-duty shift supervisor of any local police department.

    If you need more information about obtaining a temporary restraining order, please contact the station.

    For assistance in obtaining a temporary restraining order, or for any information regarding domestic violence issues, including stalking, temporary shelter, assistance in court, etc., you may call Elizabeth Buffum, from Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Chace Center 24-hour Hotline at 401-738-1700, visit their website at //, or the Advocate's Office in Kent County Courthouse at 401-822-6680.

  • I know an offender that is currently incarcerated at the ACI. How can I check his/her status?

    Victim Information & Notification Everyday VINE is a free 24 hours telephone service that allows you to check on the status of inmates in custody within the RI prison and jail system and allows you to register for automatic notifications whenever an offender's incarceration status changes. For more information click //


  • How do I become a Johnston Police Officer?

    Currently there is no hiring process scheduled, however check back with the website frequently for further updates. We also advertise in the Johnston Sunrise, the Providence Journal, and other local newspapers.

    When we do conduct a hiring process, we have recently required that you are over 21 years of age, are a United States citizen, hold a valid operator's license, and have a minimum of 60 college credits, 2 years military service and/or 2 years prior experience. The hiring process is an intense, thorough, and extensive examination into a candidate’s physical, mental, and moral aptitude.

  • How do I hire a detail officer?

    Contact Johnston Police Headquarters and request to speak with the detail officer, to schedule a detail. Please have all relative information for your request ready at the time of your call, (i.e. time, date, location, number of requested officers, etc.).